Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SANDRA PERLOW

Pitted streets, 41 x 30 cm
collage & acrylic on canvas, 2011



What are you working on in the studio right now?

I am working on some mixed media images on canvas. I lay different papers as well as fabric on the canvas. and pull the images together with oil sticks and acrylics.


Can you describe your working routine?
I get to the studio about 9;30. I look at  my e-mail, ,pick up mail. I begin with sketches that  I might have done on location.  I observe other work in different stages of completion. I start working on current work. I work until 4:30


  studio



                                                                        
Can you describe your studio space and how, if at all, that affects your work?
My studio space is located in the downtown area of Chicago. The space is divided into two rooms. One room has my computer, bookcase, files, closet and sink. The main room has two tables, one for sketching and the other for painting and reading. I like the studio  to be near  people and buildings. I like to watch movement and look at worn surfaces of buildings. as well as patterns on buildings.









Tell me about your process, where things begin, how they evolve etc.
I make drawings constantly as I work on my paintings.  I look at my collections of photos as well as color charts and keep adjusting shapes and colors until I am satisfied with the images, color and composition.

What are you having the most trouble resolving?
I have the most trouble with my mixed media images working with fabric. I want the fabric to be a secondary part of the composition. I have to find a way to incorporate the images with oil stick and acrylic.


Studio



Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?
I experiment with different materials. In the last year i have combining woodcuts as well as monoprints into my work. I also have been working with fabrics in my collages.


What does the future hold for this work?

The future holds for me continuing to combine printmaking with oil sticks and acrylics. Traveling and drawing on location is important to my work practice



Hung up, 41 x 30 cm,
woodcut & mixed media on paper, 2011





Is there anything else you want to add?

My art work has continued to make my life richer and more exciting. I hope to keep working for the rest of my life.




 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment